A local group of volunteers are helping the Afghans who helped our Canadian Forces and have had to flee their homeland. There are about 300 families in Ottawa and many are currently looking for housing as they have now received their Canadian documents.
Here is the wish list. Please note we are not asking or accepting clothes and are only providing furniture to the families. We also ask items be washed, clean and not torn.
- Everything kitchen (pots, pans, cutlery, toasters, microwaves, spatulas, dishes, glasses, mugs etc.). Kettles for boiling water is a big thing.
- Beds: Mattresses and box springs – singles, bunk beds, double and queen size (singles are in huge demand as the families are quite large), and cribs. We are not accepting king size beds at the moment.
- Bedding – sheets, blankets, pillows, pillowslips.
- Sofas and living room chairs
- Dining table and chairs
- Desks (not large ones please)
In short – just about everything but clothes and king size mattresses.
Drop off is at the warehouse across from St. Elias Greek Orthodox on Ridgewood Avenue. The warehouse is not always open so it would be best to contact them by email firstname.lastname@example.org (NOTE updated email address) or by phone (Mary: 613 853 1576) to arrange drop-off time.